The character in the Greek Myth that I performed in class was one of the nymphs in "The Origins of the Seasons":

This story explains the origin of the seasons like the death of plants in the winter and their rebirth in spring.What happened in the story was that Persephone, the beautiful daughter of Zeus and Demeter was abducted to the underworld by Hades. Demeter who was the Goddess of the earth, was heartbroken and crops withered and it just felt like winter. At last, Hades was persuaded by Hermes (sent by Zeus) to surrender Persephone to her mother. Soon, spring and summer seasons were back when flowers bloomed and living things looked normal again.
I think that the moral of this story is the action of greed but in return with love. This behaviour or action of greed is seen to be natural in the human world. What this story has potrayed from this moral is that one will do anything to get what they want. From this, Hades wants Persephone and steals her away.This is an action of greed and selfishness. This is considered a wrong behaviour. With love on the other hand, we can see when the story progresses the nature of beauty of the feeling to love. With Demeter, she was totally heartbroken when her daughter is gone missing. Because of this strong affection she has for her daughter causes misery to the world. This clearly have indentified the power of love in influencing others.I personally think that because of the power of love one has, i clarified this sense of love to be naturally beautiful.
Again throughout this story, we see that Demeter shows her strong affection for her daughter. She is heartbroken and sad when she heard that Persephone is missing and because of this strong feeling that she has, she affected the change of season. Flowers stop blooming and plants starts withering and this is a clear representation of an upset atmosphere being clarified as winter. But when Demeter and Persephone gets reunited, we can see the changes of seasons to a happier moment. Spring is back and life begins again as plant grow and flowers unfold and young animals are born. The world seems so much better this way. But because of this event, it indentifies the type of life mystery. Personally, I will answer this question in a sense that as a human myself, I do not know God well neither do I know their power and their strengths. After reading and learning deeper about this story, I realized how Gods in general also have the natural feelings and emotions just like we humans do. Often I have always thought that the feel for greed and revenge is a wrong feeling and action to encounter in our life. And from what I learnt before is that, greed is clarified to be one of the sins that humans make. But because of this story, I have realized that Gods also can encounter such situations and feelings around them just like what Hades feel. This then helps me to understand the connection of God to our world. From this story when Demeter was sad, it places a negative impact on living things like how plants starts to wither. This is clearly a feeling that Demeter has shown to the world due to sudden change of seasons. Change of seasons is although by nature it is sometimes controlled by God's doings. Humans can possibly think of this event occuring with connection to God. From my own understanding, what I have said above are mysteries that this myth attempt to answer for myself. I also think that these are what the story itself has taught me in general.
An important virtue for the Greek's just by reading this story would be conducting right action and mind and to demonstrate moral exellence.

No comments:
Post a Comment